- Application Fee
- Official Transcripts
- Parsons Challenge
- Artist Statement
- Test Scores
- Recommendation Letters
- TOEFL / IELTS
- All applicants are required to apply online. Save your work frequently and print a copy for your records. You must complete all required fields and uploads prior to submission.
- Any additional supporting documents that need to be sent by mail must include an Application Materials Cover Sheet, which can be found at http://www.newschool.edu/admission/coversheet/parsons-ug/. All supporting materials must be received before your application can be reviewed.
- See below for additional information regarding submission of transcripts and recommendations.
- Some of your required materials will be submitted through Slideroom:
- In addition to submitting this online application, Parsons requires that you submit the portfolio and Parsons Challenge at http://parsons.slideroom.com.
- Finalize your portfolio and Parsons Challenge at the same time you submit your application. This will help prevent any delays with reviewing your application as we need all required materials to be received before we can place your application under review.
- Once you have submitted all required portfolio materials at http://parsons.slideroom.com, a confirmation number will be emailed to you. Save this for your records.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
❒ Application Fee
❒ Official Transcripts
❒ Parsons Challenge
❒ Artist Statement
❒ Test Scores (see below for requirements) ❒ Recommendation Letters (Optional)
Complete the online application found here:
- parsons online undergrad application
A non-refundable $50 application fee and $10 Slideroom fee paid as part of the online application.
All applicants must provide official high school and/or college transcripts. If you are currently in school, submit transcripts for all coursework taken to date. Applicants who have attended multiple high schools may submit only the graduating school’s official transcript as long as all prior coursework is reflected on that transcript.
Official transcripts should have an original signature or a raised university seal, and must be in a sealed envelope that has been signed or stamped by the issuing university’s registrar or records office. Applicants may send official transcripts with an Application Materials Cover Sheet, or applicants can request that institutions send transcripts directly to The New School at the Mailing Address for Supplemental Materials.
Transfer Applicants: Transfer applicants who have completed fewer than 24 college credits (on a semester system) must submit high school transcript(s) in addition to college transcripts. Students who have completed any college coursework must apply as transfer students, regardless of whether or not students plan to apply those credits to their studies at Parsons. Please note that transfer applicants can apply to the BFA in Architectural Design for Fall 2014 only.
Foreign Credentials: All transcripts not written in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Foreign Credentials with Transfer Credits: Applicants who would like to transfer academic credits earned at non-U.S. institutions are required to have their transcript(s) evaluated by World Education Services (WES), our preferred provider, or by another member of the National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (NACES). A course-by-course evaluation must be prepared for each transcript.
If using WES, visit http://www.wes.org for instructions and to begin the application process. The “Required Documents” section will explain what to send. If you request your report online, search for “New School Parsons” when selecting our institution. WES will send your completed evaluation directly to The New School.
Mailed evaluations and translations should be sent to the mailing address provided for supporting materials.
Applicants forwarding these sealed documents should include an Application Materials Cover Sheet.
Electronic Transcripts: If your school sends transcripts electronically, The New School’s approved vendors are:• Avow Systems, Inc. and Docufide Inc./Rebranded as Parchment, Inc. • National Student Clearinghouse• Naviance by Hobsons • Pearson • SCRIP-SAFE International • Xap Corporation
Electronic transcripts should be sent to UGtranscripts@newschool.edu. We do not accept electronic transcripts sent directly by a student or school offices as official transcripts. This policy does not apply to international documents. All international academic credentials must be translated and evaluated by either WES or another NACES provider.
GED and Home Schooling Courses: For GED, send official GED test results; for Home Schooling, send a transcript from the sponsoring high school.
- Using any medium or media, explore something usually overlooked within your daily environment.
- Choose one object, location, or activity. Interpret your discovery in three original pieces.
- Support each piece of art with an essay of approximately 250 words. The series you create should convey a conceptual and creative response to the subject matter.
- All forms of media are acceptable— drawing, video, photography, sculpture, 3D work, collage, digital images. You may choose to work in a consistent medium or vary the media.
The portfolio must be completed in Slideroom only. Freshman applicants should submit a portfolio of 8 to 12 pieces. Portfolios can include drawings, paintings, photographs, digital media, design, three-dimensional work, web design, animation, video, and other digital media. Transfer applicants should submit a portfolio of 8 to 12 pieces in the area of interest.
What do you make, how do you make it, and why do you make? Ultimately, where do you visualize your creative abilities and academic study to take you after your education here at Parsons? (Maximum 500 words.)
SAT and ACT: All applicants must submit either SAT or ACT scores. The SAT institution code is 2638. The ACT code is 2854.
TOEFL and IELTS: All applicants whose first language is not English must submit valid TOEFL or IELTS scores. The minimum score required for TOEFL (IB) is 92, for IELTS, 7.0. Our TOEFL institution code is 2638.
The TOEFL/IELTS requirement may be waived for applicants who have earned a 4-year degree from a U.S. College or University, or for citizens of the following countries whose native language is also English: England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, or South Africa.
Arrange for the testing service to send your test scores directly to The New School using the institution codes listed above. We accept scores taken within the past two years. If your scores are older, you must retake the test. For more information, visit TOEFL at http://www.ets.org/toefl, or IELTS at http://www.ielts.org.
The SAT is also accepted with a minimum score of 500 on the Critical Reading section required for admission.
Applicants also have the option of enrolling in The New School English as a Second Language (ESL) program. Students must pass Level 6 to waive the TOEFL requirement. Visit the ESL website for more information at www.newschool.edu/continuing-education/english-language-studies/
RECOMMENDATION LETTERS (OPTIONAL)
Applicants coming directly from high school may submit one recommendation from a teacher
or college counselor. Students transferring from other colleges or universities may submit one recommendation from a professor with whom they have studied. Recommenders may submit recommendations online, and instructions are included with the online application. If preferred,
the recommendation form may instead be sent by mail in a signed, sealed envelope. To send by mail, download the PDF recommendation form found in the online application, complete personal information, save the form, and forward to recommender for completion and submission. Applicants may also send signed and sealed recommendations to the Office of Admission using an Application Materials Cover Sheet.
Interviews are not required. Applicants with questions about Parsons or the admission process are encouraged to attend an information session. Please review the Admission Calendar found at http://www.newschool.edu/parsons/ug-admission-on-campus/.
ASHCAN STUDIO STUDENT PARSONS CHALLENGE EXAMPLE: